We are looking for a Data Scientist who will help us build a new future for the written word on the web, as part of a team that translates data into actionable insights. Broadly, Data Scientists at Medium focus on analysis — interpreting data, sharing insights, and developing models that improve the product. We work together to analyze patterns at a macro level, answering questions the rest of the company hasn’t thought to ask yet.
You’ll spend most of your time working on a product team: a group of engineers, designers, a product manager, and you, the Data Scientist, all working together in a small group to build new features. You’ll extract key data and findings, define metrics, evaluate A|B tests, identify opportunities based on the data, and share new insights that no one considered before. You’ll bring data to bear on a set of thorny questions at the intersection of tech and media, helping us grow our ecosystem of readers and writers and build a new economic model for written content.
On the day to day, you will
- Partner with a diverse range of stakeholders in editorial, engineering, marketing and product management to extract actionable insight from our usage data
- Be an organization-wide advocate for evidence-based decision-making and the use of data
- Build dashboards and reports that provide visibility into how people use our products.
- Build statistical models that help us understand the ins and outs of how users experience our products
- Design and analyze experiments to answer key business questions.
- Build data pipelines and models that enable incisive analyses and performant data visualizations
You should have
- 2+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis at a consumer-facing technology company
- Experience with data pipelining, from data preparation to analysis to deployment
- Experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries on large data sets
- Knowledge of inferential statistics, especially in an experimentation setting (hypothesis testing, power analysis, experimental design)
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with product and leadership teams to influence the strategy of the product
- Experience manipulating large data sets through SQL or Python
Nice to have
- Development experience in Python
- Experience developing in Looker
- Natural Language processing (NLP) with large data sets
- Experience in big data technologies like Spark