At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for Americans with limited income. Over 5 million people use our app Providers, previously called Fresh EBT, to manage the benefits that keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of the Providers app here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re hiring a Creative Director to refine and expand our brand identity and voice across our product and all distribution channels. You’ll own our creative strategy for the brand and lead its execution, driving ad creative, onboarding, product marketing, and other key brand moments in the user experience. You’ll drive our strategy based on an intimate understanding of our key user segments, their needs, and worldviews. You’ll pursue new opportunities to expand word of mouth branding online.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Nyca Partners, Kleiner Perkins, Flourish Ventures, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact on our team, product, and business
- An opportunity to work on a product used by millions of people
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote first working environment with an HQ in Brooklyn, an office in Salt Lake City, and satellite offices in San Francisco + Los Angeles. Team meets quarterly in-person for optional retreats and on-sites.
- 20 Days of PTO
- $10k lifetime spend towards Carrot Fertility
- Excellent Medical, Dental and Vision options
- Free access to Ginger mental health, Gympass, Headspace, One Medical, Rightway, Sofi, and Spring Health
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $170,000 – $190,000 depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you’ll do:
- Assess all aspects of the product experience against our brand standards and goals.
- Drive creative strategy and production for acquisition and product marketing, ensuring cost efficient exploration and developing a strong POV how our brand should evolve across channels and media types. This includes working with agencies and the in-house growth team.
- Co-own the development of customer profiles for use in marketing, building off existing segmentation efforts led by research and product.
- Continue to update our core brand strategy: emotional territory, value proposition, personality and communication pillars.
- Build a framework that helps creative teammates know when and how to use brand elements — and when and how to deviate and experiment optimally.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to improve acquisition costs, scale adoption of new features and products among existing users, understand our organic acquisition, and to promote engagement and retention generally.
- Conduct user research to learn how users talk about our brand.
What you have:
- 8-10 years of experience building brand identities and campaigns.
- A portfolio that showcases 3-4 relevant case studies. To be considered for this role, a portfolio is required with application submission. If your portfolio is password protected, please include the password.
- Brand Experience. We are looking for a candidate that has experience building brands with an understanding and influence over graphic design, photography, art direction, animation, content creation and copy-writing.
- Product Eye. You have experience applying your point of view design decisions across the product, as well as marketing — including type, color, layout, interactions and more.
- Critical Thinker. You creatively solve business problems, with excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Leadership. You bring a vision to your work and are able to lead multiple projects and navigate internal teams to create engaging outcomes.
- Deep cultural competence. You have the ability to relate to really diverse groups of people experiencing hardships like scarcity, stigma and disability.
- Operational excellence. You understand what is necessary to scale a brand across a dozen channels and deep into a product that itself does many things for many different people.
- Hard-wired to experiment. You understand how to get clean results quickly, in order to rapidly evolve when directions aren’t working and rapidly scale when they are.
- Nurtures others, especially the creatives you work with and eventually hire, helping to develop talent, raise the quality bar, and socialize the brand across the organization.