Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big ideas.
Medium is looking for an experienced editor to work with technology writers on the Medium platform. In this contract role, you will provide editorial support for Debugger and OneZero, Medium’s owned and operated publications about technology. The right person for this job is both a champion for underrepresented voices and perspectives and has a passion for technology and gadgets.
This is a 6-month contract position with the potential to extend your contract, working Monday through Friday, 30-35hrs/week.
What will you do?
- Solicit, secure, and edit gadget reviews, tech news stories, personal essays about technology, and DIY content.
- Pitch and execute compelling story packages and special projects for the Debugger and OneZero audiences
- Review inbound submissions and pitches to ensure we never miss a great story
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Help writers with story packaging, including display copy
- Work with our audience and marketing team on story and project promotion
Who are you?
- You have 4+ years of relevant editing experience in digital media
- You are passionate about technology and storytelling
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere