Coalfire is on a mission to make the world a safer place by solving our clients’ toughest cybersecurity challenges. We work at the cutting edge of technology to advise, assess, automate, and ultimately help companies navigate the ever-changing cybersecurity landscape. We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado with offices and remote positions across the U.S. and U.K., and we support clients around the world.
But that’s not who we are – that’s just what we do.
We are thought leaders, consultants, and cybersecurity experts, but above all else, we are a team of passionate problem-solvers who are hungry to learn, grow, and make a difference.
And we’re growing fast.
We’re looking for a Consultant to support our Application Security team.
Coalfire Application Security (AppSec) is composed of highly specialized security testers and advisors with a passion for enhancing system security postures. Our team members actively participate in the information security community and have released toolsets, blog posts, and whitepapers. Our team members have presented at numerous industry conferences, including BlackHat, DefCon, ShmooCon, BlueHat, DerbyCon, 44CON, and numerous BSides about offensive and defensive operations as well as the tools and capabilities we create and share. Come join an amazing technical security team who makes a difference in the information security industry and consistently pushes the limit of offensive and defensive security capabilities.
The Consultant works closely with other Delivery team members on engagements, assessing the security and compliance of various types of client applications and supporting infrastructure against regulatory and industry requirements and standards, as well as security best practice frameworks. The Consultant is a technically proficient individual contributor with broad and deep technical skills, meeting the objectives of their engagements, collaborating with clients, mentoring teammates, and providing subject matter expertise across one or more technical domains. The Consultant is a trusted advisor to clients, and through objective testing and results reporting, supports the client in making well-informed, risk-based decisions to improve overall security posture.
What You’ll Do
- Work independently and collaboratively with a team to both lead and support engagements
- Application Penetration Testing (Browser-based, API, Mobile, IoT, Cloud)
- Threat Modeling
- Source Code Reviews
- Advise clients on technical security or compliance activities.
- Manage priorities and tasks to achieve utilization targets.
- Operate with professionalism both internally and with clients.
- Ensure quality reports and services are delivered efficiently and on time.
- Collaborate with project managers, quality management, sales and other delivery team members to drive customer satisfaction and meet project deliverables
- Communicate with client stakeholders to include leadership, systems and network administrators, security engineers, development, and support teams.
- Enhance and maintain cloud service provider technical testing methodologies and standards.
- Lead and support penetration testing projects through their entirety.
- Contribute to thought leadership initiatives through blogs, conference speaking, and/or R&D functions.
What You’ll Bring
- Proven track record of success managing client engagements.
- A thorough understanding of the Secure Development Life Cycle
- Working knowledge of web service protocols and hosting technologies
- Familiarity with code scanning and dynamic analysis tools
- Application penetration testing and assessment tradecraft and methodologies (including browser-based, API, thick client, and mobile testing)
- Strong working knowledge of at least two programming or scripting languages, and the ability to read code regardless of the language in which it is written
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing of assessment reports, presentations, and operating procedures
- Client-centric consulting with high level of collaboration
- Strong understanding of security principles, policies, and industry best practices
- Ability to travel up to 10% (potentially & during normal circumstances)
- Experience in a consulting/professional services role.
- Experience in Application Security and/or Software Development
- Cloud Service penetration testing tradecraft and methodologies across one or more service providers (e.g. AWS, GCP, etc.).
- Familiarity with DevOps engineering concepts, infrastructure automation, pipelines, version control, and deployment strategies are also a plus.
- Deep, progressive experience with AWS security concepts, including IAM, STS, and AWS specific security controls and security architecture design patterns. Professional-level AWS certifications (SAP/DEP), or AWS Specialty certifications with supporting professional experience. Experience with server-less design concepts and supporting services including S3, SQS, SNS, CloudFront, DynamoDB, Lambda and, API Gateway.
- Knowledge of advanced/niche AWS services, including Cognito, IoT Core, or SageMaker are a major plus.
- Mobile platform penetration testing tradecraft and methodologies across widely-used platforms (iOS and/or Android).
- Microservices testing
- Experience with DevOps and/or Security Maturity Modelling (e.g. OWASP SAMM)
- Testing IoT devices and software
- Network/host-based penetration testing tradecraft and methodologies.
Why You’ll Want to Join Us
At Coalfire, you’ll find the support you need to thrive personally and professionally. In many cases, we provide a flexible work model that empowers you to choose when and where you’ll work most effectively – whether you’re at home or an office.
Regardless of location, you’ll experience a company that prioritizes connection and wellbeing and be part of a team where people care about each other and our communities. You’ll have opportunities to join employee resource groups, participate in in-person and virtual events, and more. And you’ll enjoy competitive perks and benefits to support you and your family, like paid parental leave, flexible time off, certification and training reimbursement, digital mental health and wellbeing support membership, and comprehensive insurance options.
At Coalfire, equal opportunity and pay equity is integral to the way we do business. A reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role is $64,000 to $112,000 based on national salary averages. The actual salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, geographic location, training, licensure and certifications and other factors. You may also be eligible to participate in annual incentive, commission, and/or recognition programs. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.