Associate General Counsel, Corporate
Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel, Corporate to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll lead our corporate legal function and focus your efforts on a wide array of corporate legal matters, including securities, corporate governance, acquisitions, investments, and commercial transactions. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The impact you’ll make:
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Weedmaps business leaders on corporate finance and securities law matters, including compliance with obligations under federal securities laws and Nasdaq rules and regulations, such as preparation and filing of Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements and other filings.
- Lead mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions, including by proposing and implementing appropriate transaction structures and drafting term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Manage corporate governance and administration for Weedmaps and its domestic and foreign subsidiaries, including preparing Board of Director materials and corporate resolutions, facilitating the annual stockholder meeting process and overseeing local filings and administration of corporate records.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements, document templates and policies, including regarding insider trading, related party transactions, Regulation FD, and related matters.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
What you’ve accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 10+ years of experience practicing corporate or transactional law.
- Experience advising clients on matters relating to public company reporting and compliance, capital market transactions, and corporate governance matters.
- 6+ years of corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, or securities experience working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee teams of lawyers and paralegals, and outside counsel.
- Passion for startups and technology.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.