Homebound’s mission is to create a better way to build homes, leveraging technology to make homebuilding simpler and more transparent. We’re delivering on that promise in places that have been impacted by natural disasters, and now we’re expanding to help families across the country build the perfect home.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound is transforming the homebuilding market. The Homebound team includes software engineers, product managers, designers, marketers, people operations and legal experts, interior designers and the best construction experts in the world — all of whom have come together to improve homebuilding as a whole.
We are already helping hundreds of homeowners across California, Texas, and The Bahamas, and we are poised to help hundreds more. Join us.
As Architecture Lead you will be responsible for overseeing the development of architectural plans for all Homebound residential projects. This includes supporting custom projects, including disaster markets, and development on Homebound-acquired land. You will develop the strategy and drive execution of a library of architecture and design that will enable Homebound to deliver cost-effective, personalizable homes across markets and customer types. You will play a central role in shaping the evolving vision for the Homebound home and what differentiates our architecture and design in the industry. You will manage a team of Architecture Coordinators and will be responsible for determining when and how to engage outside consultants to enhance the Homebound offering.
What You’ll Do
- Lead development of the Architecture strategy and budget for new markets, including defining the program and parameters for Homebound’s plan library and supporting lot acquisition diligence. Participate in budget setting to ensure development objectives align with pro forma financial assumptions around direct and indirect costs.
- Develop compelling, creative design concepts for ReadyPlan library that will be used for development on both Homebound-acquired lots and for customers who already have land. Partner with construction, procurement, and design teams to maximize the value of our properties through engineering efficiencies, elevated design and product quality. Conduct plan reviews for constructability and value engineering opportunities.
- Oversee coordination and quality-check for lot fit analysis for an understanding of specific lot setback, easement, and other restrictions.
- Oversee the development of submittal sets and construction documents for permitting, bidding, and building. Set up processes to ensure documentation is aligned with permitting requirements, HOAs, etc.
- Build a network of external consultants to support custom and ReadyPlan projects. Be responsible for defining scope of work and lead RFP and partner selection, contracting, and management of project delivery. Ensure compliance with Homebound standards.
- Represent Homebound Architecture in Business Development and Sales conversations.
- Implement processes to ensure quality control and compliance with Homebound standards, and that projects are completed on-time. Define and manage to internal SLAs as appropriate.
- Develop and oversee architecture and product development policies and procedures, including defining the Homebound Plan standards.
- Work collaboratively with other departments on individual projects and to build processes that improve how our cross-functional teams work together. Collaboration partners include Tech, Accounting, Architecture, Design, Procurement, Sales, Construction Ops.
- Partner with design and procurement to define the vision for Homebound architecture and what makes Homebound homes special.
- Participate in firm-wide strategic planning to set quarterly and annual goals for architecture and design; responsible for delivery of company-wide and team objectives for architecture.
- Keep apprised of industry and design innovation trends and use findings to improve relevancy and competitiveness of HB brands. Communicate current and changing trends to cross-functional teams.
What You’ll Bring
- 15+ years experience in residential architecture including extensive work in production home-building and/or land development. At least 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Experience collaborating with construction and procurement teams to ensure designs meet constructability and budget requirements.
- An entrepreneurial, self-starter mindset and a strong track record in building teams and new processes.
- Strategic problem-solving skills and a passion for finding solutions that achieve business goals and minimize complexity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to develop presentations that communicate complex information as compelling stories.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to define objectives and priorities with minimal direction.
- A passion for innovation and experimentation.
- Experience working with technology partners a plus.
- Proficiency in Revit.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.