We believe the place where you are born shouldn’t determine your opportunities in life. We provide access to global opportunities by offering a world-class education no matter where you come from.
Microverse is an online school for software developers where students learn to work remotely with people from around the world. Students don’t pay tuition until they get hired and start a global career.
We are backed by amazing investors worldwide, including Y Combinator, Northzone, General Catalyst, and many world-class angel investors, such as Paul Graham, Paul Buchheit (the creator of Gmail), Kevin Hartz (the founder of Eventbrite), and Erica Brescia, Github’s COO. We are a passionate and fast-moving team of global citizens working remotely from 12+ countries.
Being remote-first and transparent, we take pride in the amazing remote culture we are building, while also making time for in-person time with team members around the world (when it is safe to do so). We are a small but mighty team of curious, life-long learners, who love tackling challenges and helping shape the future of education.
Talent is universal, but opportunity is not. We’re on a mission to change that. With the recent closing of our Series A, there has never been a more exciting time to join our growing team.
We are looking for a Finance Director that can take over day-to-day functions critical to the running of our school program(s) and overall Corporate Finances. These functions span many areas (accounting, payroll, budgeting, planning, etc.) and the successful candidate will have to draw from a large field of experiences, while at the same time be able to research and learn many others on the job.
As part of a venture-backed startup, reporting to an experienced operator, you will have the opportunity to pick up best practices yet at the same time teach your team new things, as we are life-long learners ourselves. Building and supporting a world-wide team of remote workers will expose you to many new challenges, and feeling the impact of our program on thousands of students will bring a smile to your face every day.
- Financial Modeling: Ability to understand or build bottom up financial models to plan, measure and forecast the business. Models are accurate and conforms to best practices (formatting, flexibility, layout, etc.)
- Data Analysis: Summarize key data driven actionable insights to members of the executive team to drive better outcomes, an increase in revenue or decrease in cost. Participate in monthly key reviews for your functional area.
- Financial Process Improvement: Execute improvements to processes within your own workflow. Document in the company handbook.
- Communication: Prepare and review visualizations of financial data to promote internal and external understanding of the company’s financial results. Clearly articulate insights.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Considered an advisor by business partners, sought after for guidance on financial & strategic issues. Collaborate with COO, IT, Vendors and internal stakeholders, to resolve roadblocks across various internal organizations
- Assess current billing operations, offer recommendations for improvement, and implement new processes
- Review work and analysis produced by other members of the team and external vendors
- Assist with the annual financial statement audit
- Data Analysis: Translates analysis into clear data-driven storylines and actionable insights / proposals
- Project Management: Run large complex projects that improve our ability to make better data driven insights or makes the company more efficient.
- As a senior individual contributor, you mentor other team members in modeling, analysis and finance
- Independently delivers and effectively prioritizes projects assigned as high-level goals
- Maintenance and build of monthly aging and forecast files
- Support additional month-end ad-hoc reporting/tasks as needed
- Working knowledge of all billing requirements by student country, currency, and channel
- Support team with inquiries related to billing
- Collaborate with team members to assist with ad-hoc projects and miscellaneous tasks
- Oversees the hiring and termination process with support from the People Team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams. Able to work in stressful situations with firm deadlines
- Superior attention to detail
- Financial Modeling: Be able to understand and update financial models that follow industry best practices. Expertise in Google sheets (we do not use excel for modeling purposes).
- Business Partnership: Consistent track record of using quantitative analysis to impact key business decisions.
- Data Analysis: A passion for understanding business questions and making data driven insights. Excellent analytical skills. SQL experience preferred.
- Communication: Ability to present financial data concisely using detailed reports and charts and through written and oral communication.
- Systems: Hands-on experience with financial and visualization software. QuickBooks and Metabase a plus.
- Experience owning a business function as a finance business partner.
- Demonstrated an ability to influence business stakeholders
- Excellent computer skills, self starter in picking up new and complex systems
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and objectives
- System knowledge
- Zendesk or equivalent ticketing/CRM system
- Google Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Twist and/or Slack (preferred, not required)
- Rippling (preferred, not required)
- Proven track record for improving processes and problem-solving
- Solid understanding of billing and financial concepts
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Have high empathy for working with individuals from different countries and cultures.
- Have worked at an international all-remote startup.
- Are eager to experiment and learn.
- Are based in Europe, the East Coast or a similar timezone in the Americas, or Africa (for max. timezone overlap with the rest of the team).
- Consider yourself to be a global citizen and are passionate about making opportunities more equally distributed around the world.
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing, mission-driven company
- Make a positive impact on thousands of people’s lives around the world
- Leading remote-first working culture shaping the future of work
- Work from wherever you are the happiest
- International company retreats with our global team once every ~9 months
- Learning and development budget for books, courses, and conferences
- Hardware & office set up stipend
- Unlimited PTO and 12 weeks fully-paid parental leave
- Work alongside our fully distributed team from 12 different countries
- Our team believes in and embodies our core values:
- We are global citizens
- We are passionate about our mission
- We invest in people
- We are eager learners
- We are transparent
- We take ownership of our work
- We live a harmonious life
How to Apply
- Send us a short paragraph telling us why you think you are a great fit for this position and include the word “sunshine” to make sure that you read the entire job description.
- Applications without an introduction including the word “sunshine” will not be moved forward in the process.
- This position is a full-time remote position.
- Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be able to get back to you if we decide to move forward with your application.
- If you pass the first screening, we will invite you to the second step of our hiring process where we use a tool called Hireflix to ask a few questions. We use this tool to promote asynchronous communication and to achieve a more objective initial screening – both of which are very important in our remote environment.
- Following steps: Interview with the hiring manager, short take-home assignment, general and cultural interview(s), then a cultural interview with our CEO.
Microverse is an equal opportunity employer and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
At Microverse, salaries are transparent and based on location and experience. The salary range for this role could be between $79,965.33 – $149,018.49. We used Santiago de Chile and London for the range benchmarks.
Some example salaries for locations are below:
- London: $126,891.51 – $149,018.49
- Berlin: $99,385.74 – $116,716.35
- Barcelona: $94,491.72 – $110,968.93
- Tel Aviv: $116,120.77 – $136,369.58
- Lagos: $85,423.68 – $100,319.62
- Santiago: $79,965.33 – $93,909.47